Knowing the warning signs of breast cancer can be critical to saving your life. Time is critical when it comes to a breast cancer diagnosis. The earlier an individual is able to catch this disease dictates the severity of the treatment and survival rate. In short, Breast cancer develops when cell growth occurs uncontrollably. This growth eventually leads to the formation of a tumor, that can be felt by palpating the breast. Tumors can be characterized as malignant and meta-size. Malignant tumors do not spread to other areas of the body. Whereas meta-size tumors are wide spread and can occur in various parts of the individuals body. Even having a little knowledge when it comes to breast cancer can help to know if you should go to the doctor and get checked out. If you have even the slightest feeling that the warning signs below could fit you immediately set up an appointment to talk to your doctor.
Signs to Look Out For
- New lump in breast- The most common signs to look for is a new lump in your breast. Breast exam reveal potentially cancerous lumps within the breast. There are a variety of lumps that can form within the breast. The most prevalent lump found on breast is “benign”. Fortunately, this particular lump is non-cancerous. Papilloma lump are small wart like lumps growing in the lining of the mammary ducts, near the nipple. At times this can result in discharge from the nipple. In short, most breast cancer start within the milk ducts. There are so many different types of possible breast lumps visit this website more information if you are feel like you have one. Then of course call your doctor right away.
- Nipple changes- Another sign to look for is any type of pain, swelling, size or change in nipple color. Unexpected discharge from the nipple is a concern as well. If you are having any kind of irritation or dimpling of breast skin near the nipple, this could be another telling sign.
- Increase in size or change in shape- An individuals breast may show signs of change in shape, size, or color during early stages of breast cancer. This is an important sign to look out for because the change in size may mean you have or are developing a tumor. Call your doctor right away if you think you might be.
- Pain in any area of the breast- Metastatic breast cancer most commonly correlates with this sign and symptom. If the breast or chest wall is affected, you may feel pain in the breast. Many women feel pain in their breast during the time of their menstrual cycle, so before you think the worst wait for your period to end to see if the pain and swelling has gone down or stopped.
- Peeling or flaking of the nipple- This sign has been said to also correlate with atopic dermatitis, eczema, and other skin conditions so again before you freak out make an appointment with your doctor and see if maybe it is a skin problem before breast cancer. Peeling and flaking around the nipple has been known to be a warning sign of breast cancer. Sore, itchy, cracked or flaky nipples is a sign to look out for.
If anything mentioned above remotely relates to symptoms you are currently experiencing, contact your local physician to schedule an appointment. It is recommend to receive a breast exam every 1 to 3 years after surpassing the age of 20. Self palpitations can be performed by the individual in the comfort of their home. If you observe or feel any odd lumps, it is best to call a local physician.Especially after the age of 20. Statics show that 1 in 8 women in the United States, will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. A huge lifesaver is catching it early! As mentioned before the earlier the condition is caught dictates the severity of the survival rate and treatment.